Where Science Meets Fitness

No matter what your current fitness level or former athletic experience, you can learn to train like an Olympic-caliber athlete. I am Erin Borchard, a former elite springboard/platform diver (NCAA Champion and multi-year All-American at Stanford University, former member of the US National Diving Team, and two-time competitor at the US Olympic Team Trials), specializing in personal and small group training sessions. I am also a Phi Beta Kappa student with a B.A. in Human Biology; my strong science background is an ever present influence shaping and changing my training philosophy.

I want to help you push yourself to YOUR maximum...you'll be shocked to find the true athlete living inside of you.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Teaming up with the American Heart Association

I am very excited to be teaming up with the American Heart Association as a volunteer spokesperson to promote its "Life's Simple 7" campaign.  I will be speaking about the seven factors affecting heart health and the simple actions we all can take to improve our overall heart health.

Life's Simple 7:
1. Get Active
2. Control Cholesterol
3. Eat Better
4. Manage Blood Pressure
5. Lose Weight
6. Reduce Blood Sugar
7. Stop Smoking

The American Heart Association has a relatively new website devoted to the Life's Simple 7 campaign.  Check it out at: www.mylifecheck.org.  Do what I just did; take the My Life Check self-directed online quiz to assess your overall heart health, learn how to make improvements, decide upon a plan of action, and even make a commitment to stick to that plan of action.  I ended up with a heart health score (on a scale of 1 to 10) of 7.4.  Even I, a fitness professional, have plenty of room for improvement.  I can especially improve on my diet: lower sodium intake and eat more fish (go Omega fatty acids!!).  What was your score?  Take the test, live your Life's Simple 7 plan of action for a month or two, then retake the test...did your score improve?  This website is informative in general, but best of all, it is informative about you and your health specifically.  Use it as a health tracking tool.  Good luck!  And wish me luck in my new speaking gig...yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment