Where Science Meets Fitness

No matter what your current fitness level or former athletic experience, you can learn to train like an Olympic-caliber athlete. I am Erin Borchard, a former elite springboard/platform diver (NCAA Champion and multi-year All-American at Stanford University, former member of the US National Diving Team, and two-time competitor at the US Olympic Team Trials), specializing in personal and small group training sessions. I am also a Phi Beta Kappa student with a B.A. in Human Biology; my strong science background is an ever present influence shaping and changing my training philosophy.

I want to help you push yourself to YOUR maximum...you'll be shocked to find the true athlete living inside of you.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Descending Distance Track Workout


Above: The track at Stanford University

Equipment: 400m Track OR Neighborhood Block (1x around should measure about 1/4 mile); 1 Extra Heavy Dumbbell or a Kettlebell (I will use a 25 lb. DB)

ROUND 1:
*30 x DB Squat Swing
*3 x 400m Run
*20 x DB Squat Swing
*2 x 400m Run
*10 x DB Squat Swing
*1 x 400m Run

ROUND 2:
*30 total (15 ea. arm) x Single-Arm Thruster (Squat + S-A Shoulder Press)
*3 x 400m Run
*20 total (10 ea. arm) x S-A Thruster
*2 x 400m Run
*10 total (5 ea. arm) x S-A Thruster
*1 x 400m Run

Note: By the end of this workout, you will have completed 12 laps of the track, which equals 3 miles!!!

I just completed this workout at the local YMCA track (in 88 degree (+ humidity) heat) in just under 30 minutes.  This one was SUPER hard for me.  I rarely do any distance running in my workouts, so I definitely struggle with it.  In this workout, the running was such a challenge for me that the strength portions seemed like active recovery breaks.  Push your pace here.  Because the run is broken up, you should be able to maintain speed (near sprint)...by the end you will have run a FAST 3 miles (high intensity endurance).

No comments:

Post a Comment